The Jerathmel Bowers mansion was located on the corner of South and Main Streets in the Somerset Village area. Completed in 1765, it was one of the most luxurious homes in colonial New England. Its owner, more than any other individual, was responsible for Somerset incorporating as a town separate from Swansea in 1790. The home was in a state of disrepair by the early 20th century, but the interiors of two rooms were removed by experts at the Winterthur Museum in Delaware and can be seen there today. The house was destroyed by fire in 1956.